Thursday, September 11, 2014

3rd Round Down

Another absolutely perfect day in the desert. 99 degrees, 27% humidity light breeze (in MN terms a windchill of 98). The day started for me much as I'm sure it did for all of you with a quiet thought for the thousands of lives lost this day in 2001 and gratitude for the freedom we all enjoy so much and to be able to play the game we love.

Nathan Petersen's day started with a bang as he birdied his first two holes on the Talon course back nine. He added one more birdie on the island green 17th (right after seeing me on the course...just sayin) but also suffered two doubles and a bogey to turn at 2 over 38. The highlight of the second nine was a birdie on the 5th hole. Two disaster holes on 1 and 7 did him in. In a four day event most players will suffer one bad round. Hopefully Nathan will recover on the Raptor course tomorrow to improve on his T-48.

The Palmer flight guys had another steady day. Mike and Sean both shot 78 on the South course at Talking Stick and Jeff went 2 lower to shoot 76. Jeff sits T-12, 10 shots back of the leader but only two out of the top 10. Mike is T-24 and Sean is in 31st. Jeff was Rock steady for most of the round with 15 pars. Both Mike and Sean had 2 birdies and Mike made an eagle 3 on the par 5 16th, but Mike is not in the SKINs game. He told me at dinner tonight he was only able to make the putt because "it wasn't worth anything". Great attitude but OH MIKE!

Tony Hugelin continues to lower his score each day. Today's 80 on the Raptor course included 3 birdies and puts him T-23 but only 4 shots outside the top 10.

Bruce Mills shot another 88 today, this time on TS North. He sits at T-32. I got a message from him early saying he'd lost his Sky caddie but he managed to get through the round without it. Matt Harter shot 90 to continue his steady improvement from one day to the next. With one round left there must be an 80 something in store for him tomorrow.

We had a smaller group on the Talon course today for me to work with so I was able to get in a few practice swings for next week. Good news is that I haven't forgotten how even though I haven't played since last Friday, the longest I've gone in quite some time. It's real torture going to the course each day and not being able to play. I'm ready for my turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment